All Vancouver Island Cooperative Preschool Association (VICPA) preschools are parent-operated. The preschools are administered and maintained by the parents on a non-profit, non-sectarian, inter-cultural basis.
Under the guidance of a qualified Early Childhood Educator (ECE) parents assist in the classroom. Parent participation preschools promote direct involvement of parents. This makes for a unique educational family experience.
Parent Participation provides:
- time to observe your child interacting with a consistent group of their peers
- guidance of a qualified ECE as role model and resource on child development
- the opportunity to meet, socialize, and work cooperatively with a diverse group of parents from the community
- emotional and practical support in parenting from other parents
- free access to monthly parent education sessions featuring topics of interest to you
- a chance to contribute existing skills and develop new ones
The VICPA preschool experience can give parents increased parenting skills, peer support, and self-confidence. Many parents have gone on to become effective leaders in their schools, communities, service organizations and government.
Your skills can be enriched by:
- attending and facilitating workshops
- holding executive positions in the preschool
- assisting the VICPA Board
- participating in the Making Tomorrow Conference
Your responsibilities to the preschool include:
- assisting in the classroom on a pre-arranged rotational basis
- attending orientation sessions with other parents and ECE
- attending monthly meetings of preschool membership for parent education sessions, preschool business and social activities
- paying a registration fee and reasonable monthly tuition which vary according to the expenses of each preschool
- participating in fundraising and other community events
- sharing the tasks of the preschool such as making playdough, equipment upkeep, or holding an executive position.There is a preschool job to meet every member’s schedule and interest!